[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Droid Life Forum • View topic - Everything Root for Incredible

Everything Root for Incredible

The latest Rooting tricks and hacking tips

Everything Root for Incredible

Postby hotTACOcheese » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

Rooting:
Thanks to the unrevoked there is a painless root method. This is a guide to help you root with windows or Mac. Sorry Linux users.

*** BEFORE USE, UNINSTALL "HTC Sync" and "PDA net" ***

Tutorial:

1.) Install the file for windows or mac here --> http://www.unrevoked.com/recovery/

2.) Right click on the reflash bundle and click extract all.
2a.) If on mac skip steps 3, 4, 5, and 6 just be sure usb debugging is checked and you are on "charge only" mode
3.) Once files are extracted, open the html file called "hboot driver"

4.) Intall the first link given on that page. It says "unrEVOked modified USB driver".
*****Remember to download this file to an easy to get to location.*****

5.) Follow the rest of the simple instuctions given on that page to guide you through the installation of the proper drivers.

6.) After you finish instaling the proper drivers, turn yor phone on (if it was off), connect it to your computer, and turn on USB debugging on your device (for those of you that do not know how to do that, go into settings--> applications--> development--> check the USB debugging option)

7.) Now that you've done all of the setup for the root, run the file named "reflash"

8.) Highlight the "reboot" option and press the optical trackpad

9.) DONE!

Help:

Problem: I keep getting a message that says "Communication to device has failed" (or something like that).
Fix: unplug device, then plug it back in and restart the "reflash" program.

Problem: The reflash program gets stuck on one task for more than a few minutes.
Fix: first, make sure you do not have "HTC Sync" installed on your computer. if you have it intalled uninstall it and try the "reflash" program again.

post any other problems or questions

Nandroid Backups/Restoration:

Backup (in ROM manager):
1.) Open ROM manager.
2.) Click "Backup Current ROM"
3.) Name it to your liking and press "ok"
4.) Let it run and it will reboot on its own.
5.) Backup has been made.

Backup (in Clockwork Mod Recovery):
1.) Power off your device.
2.) Hold power + volume down
3.) Select Recovery
4.) Hightlight "nandroid" and select it using the optical joystick
5.) Highlight "Backup" and select it using the optical joystick
6.) Let it run and select reboot when it finishes
7.) Backup has been made.

Restore (in ROM manager):
1.) Open ROM manager
2.) Select "Manage and Restore Backups"
3.) Select the ROM you wish to Restore.
4.) Select "Restore"
5.) Let it run and reboot
6.) Restore complete.

Restore (in Clockwork Mod Recovery):
1.) Power off your device.
2.) Hold power + volume down
3.) Select Recovery
4.) Hightlight "nandroid" and select it using the optical joystick
5.) Highlight "Restore" and select it using the optical joystick
6.) Hightlight the ROM you wish to restore using the optical joystick.
7.) Let it run and select reboot when it finishes
8.) Restoration has been completed.

2.05 Radio Update:

Already Rooted:
1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/?n3bmd2bkz55k1b9 and place it in the root of you SDCARD. Make sure the FS is FAT32, otherwise PB13IMG.zip will not flash.
2. Now go to the bootloader.
2a. Hold Power + Volume Down while your phone is off.
3. It should automatically start loading PB31IMG.zip. Then accept it when it asks you to load it or not (Vol Up).
4. You are now completely stock. You should remove PB31IMG from your SDCARD now(with astro or other file manager)
5. Download http://www.mediafire.com/?lk8ozfgmpgs4ios , rename it to update(it will automatically add the ".zip" to the end) and place it in the root of your SDCARD.
6. Now boot into recovery and apply the zip.
6a. Hold Power + Volume Down while your phone is off then select Recovery.
6b. Now hit Power + Volume Up to bring up the Recovery menu.
6c. Now select apply update.zip
7. Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Baseband version and verify that it's 2.05.00.06.11.
8. Now download and run Unrevoked 3 to reroot and install ClockworkMod recovery(see top).
9. Now you have the 2.x Radio.

Not Rooted:
1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/?lk8ozfgmpgs4ios , rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of your SDCARD.
2. Now boot into recovery and apply the zip.
2a. adb reboot recovery if powered up or Power + Volume Down then select Recovery.
2b. Now hit Power + Volume Up to bring up the Recovery menu.
2c. Now select apply update.zip
3. Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Baseband version and verify that it's 2.05.00.06.11.
4. Now download and run Unrevoked 3 to root and install ClockworkMod recovery(see top).
5. Now you have the 2.x Radio.

Flahing a ROM:
Manually - 1.) Download a ROM onto your sd card
2.) Hold Power + Optical joystick
3.) Select Bootloader
4.) Select Recovery
5.) Select install .zip from sd card
6.) select choose file from sd card
7.) Navigate to the ROM on your sd card
8.) Select it
9.) select yes
10.) Let it run and press reeboot.

Automated - 1.) open ROM manager
2.) press install rom from sd card
3.) choose your ROM
4.) check back up current ROM (if you dont have one already) and wipe data cache
5.) press ok
6.) let it run
7.) it will reboot on its own

unrEVOked forever(S-off/NAND unlock tool):
1.) Download this file on to your sd card (don't put it in any folders) --> http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forev...ed-forever.zip

2.) 0Power off your device.

3.) Boot into recovery by holding down power + volume down. Wait about 5 seconds for it to air out and then press volume down to highlight "recovery" and press the power button to select it.

4.) Press volume down until you highlight "install .zip from sdcard" and press the optical joystick to select it.

5.) Press volume down to highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the optical joystick to select it.

6.) Navigate to the file named "unrevoked-forever.zip" and press the optical joystick to select it.

7.) Press volume down until you highlight "yes" and press the optical joystick to select it.

8.) Let it run and when it finishes highlight "reboot" and select it with the optical joystick.

9.) Now you have s-off and NAND unlock
hotTACOcheese

Re: Everything Root for incredible

Postby AnothaMexican » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Very well explained and written. How do I unroot my droid incredible? Im on 2.05.00.06.11 baseband. I want to try the OTA update.
AnothaMexican

How to go back to stock 2.1-update1 and .77 HBOOT for OTA up

Postby minuzle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:25 pm

NOTE: ***DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR RADIO IS NOT ALREADY 2.x.x.x.x IT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY BRICK YOUR PHONE***

Note: You NEED to be s-OFF for this to work.

1. Download this zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?mi4utrhbacdbbxt or from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LSR7QG9W

2. Name it PB31IMG.zip (case sensitive, make sure it isn't .zip.zip) and put it in the root folder of your sdcard

Do a NANDROID backup if you ever want to go back and not wait for OTA

3. Boot into HBOOT by holding volume down + power, or type "adb reboot oem-42"

4. Volume up when it asks you if you want to apply the update/zip

Once it finishes you are back to 2.1-update1 and the original 1.00.03.04.06 radio

the PB31IMG.zip came from aiccucs on xda-developer forums

BTW, this works I did this to my phone Sunday in hopes to receive the OTA as everyone around me has except me :)

Addition: If you did this downgrade go into Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information and if your Software number says 1.22.605.0. For you to actually receive the OTA update the Software number needs to be 1.22.605.2 I found this post on xda to get you to 1.22.605.2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7933281#post7933281 This is the OTA that came in May!

You may try the update.zip anyway it's either gonna work or give you a Status 7 error
minuzle

Re: Everything Root for Incredible

Postby hotTACOcheese » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 pm

@ minuzle just do the manual update,

This is the easiest way to update your phone to FroYo.

1. Download this file and place it on the root of your phone storage (not sd card and not in any folders) http://android.clients.google.com/packa ... e_sign.zip

1a. Be sure the name is "update"

2. Go into settings.

3. Press "about phone"

4. Press "System Updates"

5. Press whatever option there is for you to update

6. Let it run

7. Enjoy FroYo

Note* None of your apps or contacts should be deleted but just incase, you should back up your contacts with Gmail
hotTACOcheese

Postby minuzle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm

hotTACOcheese wrote:@ minuzle just do the manual update,

This is the easiest way to update your phone to FroYo.

1. Download this file and place it on the root of your phone storage (not sd card and not in any folders) http://android.clients.google.com/packa ... e_sign.zip

1a. Be sure the name is "update"

2. Go into settings.

3. Press "about phone"

4. Press "System Updates"

5. Press whatever option there is for you to update

6. Let it run

7. Enjoy FroYo

Note* None of your apps or contacts should be deleted but just incase, you should back up your contacts with Gmail

Ya i just updated my post with people that had rooted to the leaked 2.2 and then decided to downgrade to get the official OTA release, that update.zip is looking for you to have the latest OTA and if you don't it isn't going to let you install it
minuzle

Postby kingsfan33 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm

I have the leaked version of froyo for the DINC that came out a few weeks ago. Any benefit of this onew OTA (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/31/ma ... droid-2-2/)?
I'm guessing Id have to unroot to get this ota or .zip?

Any benefit of doing that?
Thanks
kingsfan33

Postby minuzle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:12 pm

You would have to do the downgrade in the post that I did, then you would have to run the May OTA update.zip which is in the xda-developers link that is also in that post to get you to 1.22.605.2 as the downgrade will leave you at 1.22.605.0. To be honest I see no reason to wait for the OTA if you're just going to root and install a custom rom again anyway. The reason that I did the downgrade is because I wanted to see how long it was going to take for me to get the update, and after today I got impatient and just did the manual update.zip to 2.2
minuzle

Postby CincyReds1Fan3 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:13 pm

CANT ROOT WITH 2.2 INSTALLED :(

I was hesitant to root during the 2.1 stages of the DINC (didn't really see the value), but now that 2.2 has added more pre-installed garbage and now is offering tethering capibility - I want to root pretty badly, BUT UnrEVOked only works with 2.1 installed.

Any word as to when UnrEVOked will release an update for rooting a stock DINC with 2.2 already installed? I read that it may be soon but I am no insider. ;)

- Clusty
CincyReds1Fan3

Postby minuzle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm

CincyReds1Fan3 wrote:CANT ROOT WITH 2.2 INSTALLED :(

I was hesitant to root during the 2.1 stages of the DINC (didn't really see the value), but now that 2.2 has added more pre-installed garbage and now is offering tethering capibility - I want to root pretty badly, BUT UnrEVOked only works with 2.1 installed.

Any word as to when UnrEVOked will release an update for rooting a stock DINC with 2.2 already installed? I read that it may be soon but I am no insider. ;)

- Clusty

You need S-OFF to be able to root after you accepted the 2.2 update If you would like me to assist you with doing that send me a PM. I just updated to OTA 2.2 a little bit ago and just rooted my phone when I saw your post.
Attachments
rooted2.2.jpg
minuzle

Postby thetechguru » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 am

minuzle,

I am not sure I am following you. Are you saying you can apply unrevoked forever after accepting the OTA (or applying the update.zip manually) to official 2.2 and get root?

I had rooted with unrevoked, but somehow missed the need to do unrevoked-forever to keep root. I could go back to stock 2.1 with my Nandroid backup I suppose, but I would really just like to root 2.2 if there is a way to do it without losing my settings, data, and installed apps (including changes I have made since yesterday when I went to 2.2).

Alan
thetechguru

Postby SkittlezGTI » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:52 am

Can you use unrevoked.com to root if you have Froyo?
SkittlezGTI

Postby minuzle » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm

You needed to run unrevoked-forever prior to updating to 2.2 either OTA or the manual update.zip. It will allow you to flash a custom recovery and then you can install payload/superuser
minuzle

Postby WhereIsTony » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 pm

do you need to downgrade if you used the 8/1 leak but still have the old radio
software 3.17.605.0
Baseband 1.00.03.04.06
WhereIsTony

Postby thetechguru » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:04 pm

minuzle wrote:You needed to run unrevoked-forever prior to updating to 2.2 either OTA or the manual update.zip. It will allow you to flash a custom recovery and then you can install payload/superuser

Thanks. I'll just have to wait for root again.

Alan
thetechguru

Postby minuzle » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:23 pm

WhereIsTony wrote:do you need to downgrade if you used the 8/1 leak but still have the old radio
software 3.17.605.0
Baseband 1.00.03.04.06

you would have to update your radio before you downgrade with the instructions in my earlier post, if you run that downgrade without updating the radio you will brick your phone as that downgrade returns you to 2.1-update1 and 1.x radio. You should be able to update to a 2.x radio and then run the downgrade
minuzle

Re: How to go back to stock 2.1-update1 and .77 HBOOT for OT

Postby AnothaMexican » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 am

minuzle wrote:NOTE: ***DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR RADIO IS NOT ALREADY 2.x.x.x.x IT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY BRICK YOUR PHONE***

1. Download this zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?mi4utrhbacdbbxt or from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LSR7QG9W

2. Name it PB31IMG.zip (case sensitive, make sure it isn't .zip.zip) and put it in the root folder of your sdcard

Once it finishes you are back to 2.1-update1 and the original 1.00.03.04.06 radio

BTW, this works I did this to my phone Sunday in hopes to receive the OTA as everyone around me has except me :)

Addition: If you did this downgrade go into Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information and if your Software number says 1.22.605.0. For you to actually receive the OTA update the Software number needs to be 1.22.605.2 I found this post on xda to get you to 1.22.605.2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7933281#post7933281 This is the OTA that came in May!

You may try the update.zip anyway it's either gonna work or give you a Status 7 error

How do I know if im s-off? I rooted with the regular unrevoked.
AnothaMexican

Postby WhereIsTony » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 am

minuzle wrote:
WhereIsTony wrote:do you need to downgrade if you used the 8/1 leak but still have the old radio
software 3.17.605.0
Baseband 1.00.03.04.06

you would have to update your radio before you downgrade with the instructions in my earlier post, if you run that downgrade without updating the radio you will brick your phone as that downgrade returns you to 2.1-update1 and 1.x radio. You should be able to update to a 2.x radio and then run the downgrade

How do I upgrade the Radio?
WhereIsTony

Postby minuzle » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:57 pm

taken from xda forums

How to flash the 2.x radio.

Rooted

1. Download PB31IMG.zip http://www.mediafire.com/?n3bmd2bkz55k1b9 and place it in the root of you SDCARD. Make sure the FS is FAT32, otherwise PB13IMG.zip will not flash.
2. Now go to the bootloader.
2a. Run 'adb reboot oem-42' if powered up or hold Power + Volume Down if your phone is off.
3. It should automatically start loading PB31IMG.zip. Then accept it when it asks you to load it or not (pretty sure Vol Up).
4. You are now completely stock. You should remove PB31IMG from your SDCARD now.
5. Download dinc_ota.zip http://www.mediafire.com/?lk8ozfgmpgs4ios, rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of your SDCARD.
6. Now boot into recovery and apply the zip.
6a. adb reboot recovery if powered up or Power + Volume Down then select Recovery.
6b. Now hit Power + Volume Up to bring up the Recovery menu.
6c. Now select apply update.zip
7. Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Baseband version and verify that it's 2.05.00.06.11.
8. Now download and run Unrevoked 3 http://www.unrevoked.com/recovery to reroot and install ClockworkMod recovery.
9. Then download and install unrevoked-forever http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/ ... orever.zip

I am not 100% that this will still work but I see no reason why it shouldn't the reason i put step 9 in there is so you can still re-root after you manually update to 2.2
minuzle

Re: How to go back to stock 2.1-update1 and .77 HBOOT for OT

Postby AnothaMexican » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:21 am

minuzle wrote:NOTE: ***DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR RADIO IS NOT ALREADY 2.x.x.x.x IT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY BRICK YOUR PHONE***

Thank you so much, your instructions helped me a lot.
AnothaMexican

Postby AlDoug » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:57 am

So... now that I have Froyo with S-OFF, can I just load the recovery image for Incredible from here? And that will give me ClockworkMod again and Superuser? Or do I have to wait till unrevoked 1-click rooting comes back?
AlDoug

Next

Return to Root & Hacking